A BIT OF EARTH


8.17.2014


One of my favorite moments in A Secret Garden is when the frightened orphan, Mary, is called into the study of the old English manor to meet her solemn guardian, Mr. Craven. After discussing her desire to play outdoors and grow stronger, he asks her what she wants - toys, books, dolls? And Mary replies, "Might I have a bit of earth?" Mr. Craven finds this strange, and asks what she means, to which Mary says, "To plant seeds in--to make things grow--to see them come alive."

We don't own any land, but our apartment is settled on the fringe of a charming neighborhood, and there are many trails to wander down and parks in which to enjoy a shaded bench. There is a particular spot where I go to put away my phone and take off my ear buds so that I can listen to natural creaks and chimes, and watch tree tufts speckle the grass with light and shadows as wind rolls through like a steady current. It's a place where I can go when life is not simple, and my imagination needs nature and sunlight to settle and grow.

Find a bit of earth where you can steal away to think. Think of the happiest times, the people you still love, and receive each breath with intention. Your spirit will calm, your mind will wake and dream, and those dreams will begin to plant themselves deep. Return as often as you can, so that you can watch them grow and come alive.

No comments :

Post a Comment