THE SIMPLEST WAY TO KILL YOUR PLANTS


9.16.2014


Regardless of whether I have a black thumb or green thumb, I have busy thumbs. They're usually drumming on my lap top, scrubbing at messes, or tossing baby toes into the air. So, I've only purchased plants that require the littlest amount of time and effort. Occasionally even one of these "effortless" sprouts begins to wither, and I'm left bewildered at how swiftly I've managed to kill the world's easiest house plant.

Desperate to save a dying fern, I did my research and found that the simplest way to kill your plants is to over water them. The expert's advice: water as needed instead of on schedule, and only mist plants that enjoy humid conditions every few days. Wilting leaves or soil pulling away from the planter's sides signifies thirst, but dark soil that sticks to fingers means their roots are well saturated.

Now that I've stopped drowning her roots (also misting her and letting her hang in the humid bathroom during showers), my Maidenhair Fern has begun to thrive. And did you know - if you group your plants together during the approaching winter months, you can create a humid micro-climate and give them a greater chance of survival? I certainly did not.

If you have any tips for keeping "easy" house plants alive, please let me know! Even a succulent can be tricky for a novice.

UPDATE: Some of you have asked me where I purchased my ferns. I bought both my Maidenhair and Button ferns from Pernell Gerver. I was wary of purchasing plants online, but the ferns were well packaged an in excellent condition when they arrived at my doorstep. So if you're interested in cultivating an indoor garden but can't find the plants you're looking for locally, take a look at what they have for sale.


somewhat related things:
best low maintenance indoor plants
a modern watering can (if only)
i'd love one of these in my living room!

No comments :

Post a Comment