CHRISTMAS LIGHT CHATS


12.02.2014



Joseph and I have been working on going to bed earlier. There are two times in my life that I can remember having a consistent "bedtime". One was my senior year in college. I'd go to bed between 9 and 10pm and wake up at 5am completely refreshed and excited for the day, sometimes with so much energy I would voluntarily go on a 8 mile run and watch the sun crest because I had nothing else to do. I know...

I think with a small child, the tendency is to feel like once they go to sleep that the world is your limit, and time is this open ended, beautiful thing where you can do whatever you want without being interrupted - like pursue novel writing dreams or watch addicting TV shows. On top of that, for the past few months I was working late evenings and early mornings doing time sensitive contract work (hence my absence in the blogging world). But the dark circles around my eyes were beginning to appear permanent. So Joseph and I are committed now to the nightly wind-downs beginning much, much earlier.

So at night now we sit together in the glow of Christmas lights and spiced candles and listen to a podcast, accompanied by decaffeinated coffee or tea and conversation that does not involve finances or all the undone to-do's. We are currently listening to this podcast, which is about as addicting as Netflix but actually requires brain use. The absence of a screen's bluish glow makes it much easier to put a cap on things. The whole evening evokes a sort of nostalgia for fireside chats.

I wish for every evening to be thought provoking, connective, and cozy. The day of my dreams would close with family gathered together on an night that rings only with laughter, conversation and the crackle of a fireplace.

For now, our twinkly Christmas lights will do just fine.

some other podcasts we enjoy:
This American Life
All Songs Considered
TED Radio Hour
Radiolab
Planet Money
Stuff You Missed in History Class



photo found here

No comments :

Post a Comment